Trem das Montanhas Capixabas


Operated since 2010 by Serra Verde Express, the tour in “Capixabas” Mountain Train runs a stretch of 46 kilometers, linking the history and culture of small towns to the beautiful landscapes of the Atlantic Forest. The tour is done in a “Litorina”, with leather armchairs, large windows, air conditioning and I board service.
The trip starts in Viana, a city of Azorean influence, located at 23 km from the state capital, Victoria. The railway section was inaugurated in 1895, known at the time as Leopoldina Highway in honor of Maria Leopoldina, Brazilian first Empress.
During the ascent of the moutains, come up small farms and preserved forests areas. The first stop is in Domingos Martins, where two tunnels and a bridge suspended under the Rio Jacu are the most relevant points of the path.
The train ride is about two hours and-a-half, with three stops along the way. At the stations, locals selling crafts, candy and cookies.

RIDE PHOTO GALLERY


See how to get


Rua Coronel Vieira Pimentel, S/N, Centro
Viana / ES
Araguaia / ES

Postal Code: 29090-100
Phone: (27) 3237-1789
E-mail:vitoria@serraverdeexpress.com.br
Departures from Viana on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays at 9:00 am. Return from Marechal Floriano at 12:30 pm. Estimated arrival at Viana 2:40 pm.
49 km long
Duration 5:00 hours


Phone: (27) 3237-1789 / (27) 3337-7561
Viana-ES Train Station / Marechal Floriano – ES (this stretch is 30 km long)
Beautiful scenery Capixabas Mountains.
During the stops you can enjoy the cookies, candy, homemade breads and liqueurs of the region.
The Leopoldina Railway came up with the construction of a railway section linking the city of “Além Paraíba” to Leopoldina, both in the state of Minas Gerais. The construction was made by the Engineer Antonio Paulo de Mello Barreto and the opening of the first segment of 27 km, occurred in October 8, 1874, when were open to traf ... see more
The Leopoldina Railway came up with the construction of a railway section linking the city of “Além Paraíba” to Leopoldina, both in the state of Minas Gerais. The construction was made by the Engineer Antonio Paulo de Mello Barreto and the opening of the first segment of 27 km, occurred in October 8, 1874, when were open to traffic stations of “São José”, “Pântano” and “Volta Grande” with the presence of Emperor Dom Pedro II and various authorities. Still in 1874 were completed stations of “São Luís” and “Providencia”, the path was completed only in July 1877 with the opening of Cataguases (former Santa Rita de Meia Pataca) and Leopoldina stations, making a 120 km long. The railroad contemplated a very intense traffic of goods, predominantly coffee and passengers. In August 1887 the Leopoldina Railway reached the Rio de Janeiro territory by acquiring the Railroad Cantagalo, connecting the “Porto das Caixas” extension to “Macae” city. In Minas Gerais the railroad was already highly branched. In 1890 the Leopoldina incorporated several lines located in Rio de Janeiro and Espirito Santo thus, widening its services in both provinces.
The departure from Viana, municipality that is at the foot of the “Montanhas Capixabas” your route crosses the Atlantic Forest, being able to contemplate different species of fauna and flora. In addition to beautiful valleys and mountains.